The best feature for me was that there was no overnight soaking of the dal, no oil/butter/ghee, no sauteing or tadka required. Basically smart cooking ;)
I will take more pictures and add later; for now the recipe...
- 1.5 cups kali dal washed
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger grated
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder (can increase per your taste)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tbsp coriander powder (dhania pwd)
- 1 tsp cumin powder (jeera pwd)
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1-2 tbsp fresh coriander chopped (hara dhania) for garnishing
- 6 cups of water
Add all the above ingredients except the hara dhania in the slow cooker. Cook on high setting for 8 hours. Stir slowly once cooked and garnish with the fresh cut coriander. Serve hot with naan or rice.
I usually make a coarse paste of the onion using the hand mixer.
If you want, you can add 1 tablespoon of cream on top after it is cooked. I usually add a little ghee in the kids' plates.